Monday 23 January 2012

How does your media product represent particular social groups?



This question focused on the representation in my magazine. I began by describing the issues such as the colour scheme, and I then proceeded to link this to my chosen genre of music. I also discussed the nature of those who listen to my particular genre, and I also stated how a main feature of my magazine was smaller bands, which is a key representational feature of those part of the 'Indie' culture. 

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

My magazine is representing the fans of the genre indie or rock. This is shown by the colours and style of my magazine. For example, I have used mostly dark colours, which are often associated with this genre of music. In addition, the clothing worn by the models in my magazine are wearing clothes that are often associated with this genre. For example, chino’s, white t-shirts and vans are 3 items of clothing which are regularly associated with this genre. The genre is fairly popular and the magazine market that is out there for this genre is quite filled, however there are spaces in the market for a variant on the typical items seen in a magazine in this genre. Something that my magazine uses as its USP to differentiate is to focus on new music. Whereas most magazines focus on well known music and music that relates to the genre. My magazine however focuses on smaller bands that people may not know which is quickly becoming a part of the indie culture, with their focus on unknown bands. Generally, my magazine will only feature artists of this genre, and as such this is the only group that will be represented. For this reason, they will be represented in a positive light, as showing the buyers in a negative light would mean they wouldn’t want to read it. Due to the focus on this genre, this may in some ways show other genres in a more negative light, as a main theme of this genre is showing the superiority of this specific genre. The model used on my front cover can relate to the target audience, due to the fact that they are of a fairly similar target audience. The clothes they will wear will also be relative to the audience, as they will wear similar clothes. Finally, the camera angle focuses on the same level as the eye line of the model, inferring that the audience can easily relate and approach them, adding to the connection between the model and the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment